Frog Play on Leap Year Day
It's a Leap Year! Perhaps even your child's first Leap Year ever. You provide the education to why we have 366 days every four years. We'll provide the how to for easy, imaginative fun. To mark this day, engage in some hippity-hoppity play. Here's how:
Turn all the kids into frogs. Ribbit!
LOOK LIKE A FROG:
You will need:
- Frog Headband Template
- Two sheets of green construction paper (8.5x11)
- One sheet of white piece of paper
- One sheet of black construction paper (8.5x11) or black marker
- Stapler, tape and/or glue
- Download the Frog Headband Template. Print and cut.
- Using the template, trace the shapes onto construction paper, and cut out the pieces.
- Children assemble the frog faces, using glue or tape. Add optional details with markers.
- Measure the headband on each child’s head, and tape or staple into a circle.
- Hop, leap, and ribbit (but don't croak) throughout the day
Play one or all of these games with your hoppy, hungry frogs.
You will need:
- Removable tape: Washi tape, masking tape, or painters tape
- Any small toy (or for a special surprise, these mini frog figurines)
- Fake insect toys
- Rice Krispies cereal (and optional edible flavored crickets)
Leap Like a Frog: Leap Frog
Variation: For a more challenging version, have children stoop (standing) with their hands on their knees.
Hop Like a Frog: Indoor Hop Scotch
Variation: After a few rounds of play, let children create their own hopscotch course with tape.
Hunt Like a Frog
Hide fake bugs throughout the house and have your frogs hunt them down.
Eat Like a Frog
Thinly scatter Rice Krispies on a plate. Have your child, crouched like a frog, quickly stick his tongue out to snap up a single Rice Krispie. If you're brave enough, sample some real crickets for dessert.
Finally, enjoy a laugh or two with our free printable Frog + Leap Day Jokes.
Too busy to throw a special birthday party or exceptional play date at home? Next time, buy a Rock Paper Sprinkles party, and get your props, costumes, favors, supplies, and fun-focused guide - filled with a story narrative of games - delivered to your door.