Kids' Play on Groundhog Day
We're all about Groundhog Day on February 2nd. Why celebrate this day? It's fun. It reminds us, in the middle of winter, that spring will come. And where you see a rodent with no tail, your child sees a cute, furry, little animal that burrows. How cool. How cute. To mark this day, engage in some groundhog play. Here's how:
Turn all the kids into groundhogs.
LOOK LIKE A GROUNDHOG:
You will need:
- Groundhog Headband Template
- Construction paper (8.5x11) in any color (we love colorful groundhogs)
- Black construction paper (8.5x11) (for you, the groundhog's shadow)
- Stapler, tape and/or glue
- Download the Groundhog Headband Template. Print and cut.
- Using the template, trace the shapes onto construction paper, and cut out the pieces. Cut out one headband in black for the shadow.
- Children assemble the groundhog faces, using glue or tape. Add detail with markers.
- Measure the headband on each child’s head, and tape or staple into a circle.
- Make a plain black groundhog headband for yourself.
- Wear all day, through the airports, in the car on your drive home, through the grocery store for those last minute supplies…(you get the idea).
BURROW LIKE A GROUNDHOG (HIDE N' SEEK):
Gather your little groundhogs for a game of hide n' seek. Have your little groundhogs go hibernate. Instruct them to "chuck chuck" - like an angry groundhog - when you find them.
BURROW LIKE A GROUNDHOG (BOX MAZE):
You will need:
- 10-20 boxes (same size boxes preferable; medium moving boxes - 18x18x16" - work best)
- Packing tape
- Layout boxes along walls in hallways and tape together.
- Make perpendicular turns into adjoining rooms by folding back box flaps.
- Cut holes in the top of a few boxes, so children can pop their heads out (and look for their shadow).
- Include children in the construction of the maze, if possible.
OTHER IDEAS FOR MAZE PLAY:
- Do time races through the maze.
- If you've included multiple tunnels, hide treats in the maze and have the groundhogs find them.
- Leave box mazes up for a week for extended play.
Finally, enjoy a laugh or two with our free printable Groundhog's Day kid jokes.
Too busy to throw a special birthday party or exceptional play date at home? Next time, buy a Rock Paper Sprinkles party, and get your props, costumes, favors, supplies, and fun-focused guide - filled with a story narrative of games - delivered to your door.